Thursday, January 15, 2009

Recipe: Spicy Vegetarian Black Bean Soup

On cold winter's days like today, a steamy bowl of spicy black bean soup is a guaranteed winner. I made a batch this week and thought I'd share the recipe. I've been making this soup for years and have tweaked it to my own specifications.


The ingredients

Spicy Black Bean Soup
Serves 8
2 cups dry black beans, cleaned, rinsed and soaked
6 cups cold water
2 cups vegetable broth
2 medium onions, diced
1/4 cup butter
2 whole bay leaves
3 cloves garlic, crushed
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
2 tsp ground cumin
2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp dried parsley
2/3 cup dry sherry


1. Place cleaned, rinsed beans in a large pot and follow soaking directions. I usually add six cups of water for two cups of beans and boil for ten minutes, then simmer for one hour.*



2. Drain off water and refill with six cups of water and two cups of vegetable broth. Cook over low heat until beans are soft, about an hour.



3. While beans are simmering, melt butter in a large frying pan.



4. Saute onions over low heat until soft and translucent.



5. Add parsley and continue sauteing.



6. Add bay leaves to the pot of beans and cover.



7. Crush garlic and add to the pan.



8. Add spices and saute for about two minutes.



9. Add onion mixture to the pot of beans and cover.



10. Simmer until thickened, about three hours. Remove bay leaves and add sherry. I usually hit the beans briefly with an immersion blender after removing bay leaves to speed the thickening process along. Continue simmering for about 15 minutes.



Enjoy!


Garnish with raw onion, shredded cheese, diced tomato or a dollop of sour cream - whatever takes your fancy. I usually serve mine with a few tortilla chips on the side.

If I'm out of vegetable broth, I substitute McKay's chicken-style instant broth & seasoning mix. I always have some of it on hand because I think it's more flavorful than vegetarian bouillon cubes.

*When soaking/boiling/simmering beans during the first hour, DO NOT add anything to the beans. Definitely DO NOT add salt as it will prohibit the beans from softening!

3 comments:

Feoshia said...

I'll try it! I have tons of black beans I need to use.

Veggie Option said...

Let me know what you think, Feoshia.

Anonymous said...

Didn't say what to do with tomato paste :(

Followers