Curried Cauliflower and Potatoes
1 1/2 lbs red potatoes, cubed
2 tsp mustard seed
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ginger (grate fresh ginger if you have it but powdered is ok in a pinch)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Cups cauliflower florets (approx. one head)
1 Cup water
2 tsp McKays chicken-style seasoning (or a vegetable bouillion cube)
1 Cup peas
1. Cube potatoes. I like mine with the skin on, but if you don't it's ok to peel them first. Soak potatoes in water until ready to use.
2. Heat mustard seeds over medium heat until they begin to pop (about 1-2 minutes). Add the oil, onion, garlic and ginger and cook until onions soften.
3. Add all spices and stir until fragrance intensifies.
4. Drain potatoes and add to the pan along with cauliflower. Stir well.
5. Boil the water and stir in McKay's seasoning until it dissolves into broth. Add broth to the pan. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
6. Remove lid and add peas, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed.
Serve with pilaf rice and naan bread.