Sunday, February 1, 2009

Recipe: Curried Cauliflower & Potatoes

I haven't been to any restaurants this week thanks to the weather, so I thought I'd post the curry recipe I whipped up this week with items I had on hand. It's easy to prepare and leftovers can be nuked for lunch the next day. Yum!

Curried Cauliflower and Potatoes
Serves 6

1 1/2 lbs red potatoes, cubed
2 tsp mustard seed
2 Tbs vegetable oil
1 medium onion, sliced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp ginger (grate fresh ginger if you have it but powdered is ok in a pinch)
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp curry powder
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
2 Cups cauliflower florets (approx. one head)
1 Cup water
2 tsp McKays chicken-style seasoning (or a vegetable bouillion cube)
1 Cup peas

The potatoes are hiding beneath the cauliflower

1. Cube potatoes. I like mine with the skin on, but if you don't it's ok to peel them first. Soak potatoes in water until ready to use.
2. Heat mustard seeds over medium heat until they begin to pop (about 1-2 minutes). Add the oil, onion, garlic and ginger and cook until onions soften.
3. Add all spices and stir until fragrance intensifies.
4. Drain potatoes and add to the pan along with cauliflower. Stir well.
5. Boil the water and stir in McKay's seasoning until it dissolves into broth. Add broth to the pan. Cover and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15-20 minutes.
6. Remove lid and add peas, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed.

Serve with pilaf rice and naan bread.

I love getting the chance to use our Balti dishes

4 comments:

Suz said...

Do you make your own naan?

Veggie Option said...

Hi Suz - I normally don't make my own naan. I find it's just as easy to pick up a couple from Remke Markets.

Anonymous said...

Is there something missing from the ingredients list--tomato sauce, maybe? And are the amounts of potato and cauliflower correct?

My daughter thought this sounded delicious so we made this the other night. It did taste good but looked nothing like the photo. There was a large amount of potatoes and cauliflower but very little broth. What there was of it, though, was yellow from the turmeric and cumin. I even added an additional cup of broth to even it out but it still was about 1-2 inches of liquid to 4-6 inches of solids.

Have we misinterpreted something here?

Veggie Option said...

Hi! No, you haven't misinterpreted the recipe, and I should have taken a close-up photo of the end product, which has very little liquid in it. The broth is basically to boil the veggies and infuse the spices into them. Most of the liquid is boiled off.

The redness you see in the top photo is from the type of curry powder I used, which is very red (and very hot). It turned the broth red.

Followers