Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Mammoth Cafe

Mammoth Coffee & Cafe
515 Monmouth Street
Newport, KY
859-291-TUSK

Now that the weather is getting nice again, Steve and I took a morning stroll through the neighborhood and wound up at Mammoth Café, a friendly, funky little independent coffee shop on Monmouth Street. That neither Steve nor I drink coffee mattered much, as we figured there would be more than just coffee available.

Mammoth Coffee & Cafe

We were right. The café not only offers a full menu of hot and cold espresso/coffee beverages, but a full line of imported teas, Italian and French sodas, fruit smoothies and frappes, as well as bottled juices, soft drinks and specialty bottled sodas.

Although the food menu is small, the restaurant goes above and beyond with their vegetarian selections. Daily breakfast offerings include a burrito stuffed with vegetarian sausage and roasted potatoes; a breakfast bagel made of egg, veg sausage and pepper jack cheese; fresh fruit and cottage cheese with a fresh baked muffin; and granola with yogurt and fresh fruit. Sometimes the quiche du jour is also vegetarian so be sure to ask. All breakfast offerings are served with home baked apples or fresh fruit.

A stylishly retro interior

I opted for the veggie breakfast burrito with fresh fruit. Although I am not a fan of mock meats, I thought the chunks of spicy vegetarian sausage gave the burrito an interesting, chewy kick, and a decorative drizzle of Huy Fong’s Sriracha Hot Chili Sauce on the side of the plate adds a little extra umph if you want it. Lunch begins at 11 a.m. and includes several salads, a veggie wrap and soup du jour served with toasted ciabatta or jalapeno cornbread. Most menu items run $6.95-$7.50.

The vegetarian sausage & roasted potato breakfast burrito

Steve chose the southwest breakfast burrito

The Frank Lloyd Wright-inspired window motif, funky fiberglass chairs and hexagon floor tile indicate a flair for mid-century modern, and the restaurant offers local artists a chance to display their artwork throughout. Mammoth Coffee and Café is open Tues-Fri from 6:30 a.m.-2 p.m., from 8 a.m.-2 p.m. on weekends, and closed on Monday.

A section of the café displays local art


Mammoth Cafe on Urbanspoon

4 comments:

liz said...

i love mammoth cafe. i used to go there all the time when i lived in newport. for people who drink coffee, their coffee is excellent. really smooth and strong. my only complaint is their hours... i always wanted to go hang out there at night but they close so early.

WestEnder said...

I had a chai tea there a few years ago before a movie. It was the sweetest fluid I have ever tasted and in all likelihood was probably a scientific milestone in the supersaturated sugar solution category. If I drank the whole thing (I took 3 sips and threw it away) I would probably have gone into insulin shock.

But I've heard their coffee is really good.

Tree said...

I'm happy I stumbled across your blog. I'm a vegetarian who lives in West Chester. I don't get out to eat too often but it's good to learn of new places. Love the Indian food recipe, too.

Rachel said...

I'm not a big fan coffee either, but I love indie coffee houses and Mammoth is one of the best in the city. The selections are veg-friendly and the ambiance is great.

Followers