Friday, April 24, 2009

Recipe: Navratan Korma

I've been trying out various korma recipes over the years and this is one of our favorites:

Navratan Korma
1 Tbs ghee or butter
1/3 Cup mixed dried fruits and nuts (cashews, raisins, sultanas etc)
3 Tbs vegetable oil
1 Tbs ginger-garlic paste
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ground chili powder (or cayenne)
1 tsp coriander powder
2 tsp garam masala
1 Medium onion, grated
1 8oz can tomato sauce
1/4 Cup milk
1/4 Cup heavy cream
3 Cups boiled vegetables (potatoes, cauliflower, carrots, peas, bell pepper, green beans)
Salt to taste

First off, I think one of the keys to a great dish is by making your own ginger-garlic paste. To do so, buy fresh ginger and two bulbs fresh garlic. Peel the ginger and slice it into small chunks, then whirl in a food processor until it forms a paste. Do the same with the garlic, then mix the two together with 1/4 tsp of turmeric and a little salt. You can store this in the fridge for a week or up to a month in the freezer. Yes, I know it is time consuming to peel all the garlic, but trust me, it's worth it.

Start with fresh ginger and garlic

Whirl the sliced and peeled ginger in a food processor

Do the same with the garlic, then whiz together with turmeric and salt to make a paste

1. Boil vegetables and set aside.
2. Heat ghee/butter and lightly fry raisins and nuts for about a minute on medium heat.
3. Add oil to the pan and fry the grated onion and ginger-garlic paste til golden.

Fry grated onion and ginger-garlic paste in oil

4. Add turmeric, red chili powder, coriander powder, garam masala to the mix and fry for a couple of minutes.
5. Add tomato sauce. Stir well for about 4 minutes, taking care not to let it stick to the pan.

Add tomato sauce

6. Add milk and cream, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and cook until sauce thickens. For a richer taste, add 1/2 cup of heavy cream instead of half milk and half cream.

Add cream and milk

7. Add vegetables and mix well. Simmer for another 5-7 minutes or until thickened.

Add boiled veggies
Simmer together

Enjoy!


Serves 4

For added flavor, try adding a little cardamom, clove and cinnamon to the mix. YUM!

Click for printable recipe.

15 comments:

WestEnder said...

What is the best way to remove saliva streaks from a computer monitor? Suddenly I have several.

Veggie Option said...

Hey WestEnder, sorry about ruining your computer monitor. Next time I'll add a warning label. :)

Heidi said...

Just made this for dinner and it was yummmmmy. Made a few little cheats: skipped the paste, just used minced garlic and grated ginger, also had to sub curry powder for garam masala because i didn't know my jar of garam was empty. even so, it was delicious! thanks for the great recipe, i think i'll be making the sauce in bulk sans veggies so we can have it quickly and often!

Veggie Option said...

I'm glad you liked the recipe Heidi. Thanks for stopping by!

The Professor said...

I made this for dinner this evening. I took your cue and added cardamom, clove, and cinnamon as well as some Paneer from a local (central New Jersey) Indo/Pak grocery store.
This will be a new favorite.
Absolutely delicious...thank you!

Veggie Option said...

I'm glad you liked the recipe!

Lucky Me said...

Veggie Option:

You rock! First, I now know there are at least two vegetarians in Newport, including me. Second, I tried this and LOVED it. I ended up using evaporated fat-free milk in lieu of the half and half. Still tasted good.

Lucky Me said...

Veggie Option:

You rock! Now I know there are TWO vegetarians in Newport, including me. I made this tonight, but I used evaporated skim milk in lieu of the heavy cream and milk. It was tasty. Thanks for posting.

ARUNA said...

Awesome, tx for this recipe! Am gonna try it!

Sabrina said...

Just discovered your blog while searching for a recipe for Navratan Korma (my favorite Indian dish). I'm not a vegetarian, but I do like to go meatless once in a while. I'm also a Loveland resident, so I appreciate the restaurant reviews as well.

I absolutely love the photos, but when I take a recipe to the kitchen with me, an 8-page printout is a bit cumbersome. Is there a way I can print just the text (or that you could post a text-only version in addition to the graphical one)?

Looking forward to following your work in the future!

Veggie Option said...

@Sabrina: Thanks for reading! I have added a printable recipe link at your suggestion.

Please stop back and let me know what you thought of the recipe.

Anonymous said...

I made this one for dinner.turned out delicious. thanks

Veggie Option said...

@anon: Thanks for stopping by to let me know you liked the recipe!

rekha said...

Lovely recipe..I am so glad I found you blog..Loved the orange cast iron skillet..I am sure it turned out pretty delicious because of that!!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the fantastic recipe. I used this to make Navratan Korma for a party and it was the most liked one.

Followers