Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Recipe: Israeli Couscous Salad

Recipe: Israeli Couscous Salad
Serves 4-6

Ingredients:
Salad:
1 Cup Israeli couscous
1/2 Cup golden raisins
1/2 Cup toasted pecans
2 scallions, minced

Dressing:
2 Tbs. olive oil
1 1/2 Tbs. champagne vinegar
zest of a small orange
juice of one small juicing orange
1/2 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp dried thyme (I used one small sprig fresh)
1/2 tsp dried tarragon
salt and pepper to taste

Directions:

The ingredient list

Israeli (pearl) couscous is made of hard wheat rather than semolina. It is similar to pasta.

Toast the pecans in a dry skillet until they become fragrant. Remove from heat, let cool and coarsely chop.

Zest the orange

Boil the couscous for about eight minutes.

Drain and set aside to cool.

Squeeze the juice from the orange, then whisk together all dressing ingredients.

Gather together the pecans, raisins, scallions and dressing.

Blend all ingredients into couscous and enjoy!

This recipe is good warm or chilled. Turn it into a Thanksgiving side by substituting dried cranberries for the raisins.

2 comments:

margaux.patel said...

Hi Veggie Option. I am so happy I found your blog. I found it via Get in Mah Belly's blog when I was bored one day. Not only do I love to cook quinoa, but I ABSOLUTELY love cooking with israeli couscous. This looks delicious and I can't wait to try your recipe :)

Veggie Option said...

Hi Margaux - glad you stopped by. Isn't Israeli couscous the best? So versatile! I'd love to hear what you think of this recipe. Originally I used only 1 1/2 Tbs of oil, but I thought it tasted a little bit dry, so upped it to 2 Tbs. and I think that did the trick.

Followers