Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Recipe: Panko Pasta

Panko Pasta
Serves 4

This hearty dish incorporates pungent garlic, tart capers and spicy red pepper flakes with panko (Japanese-style) breadcrumbs for a crunchy twist on tortellini pasta. Don't substitute regular breadcrumbs for the panko, as I've attempted this recipe in the past with finely crushed breadcrumbs and there is just no comparison. I use spinach panko from Whole Foods, which runs $3.99 for a five ounce tub.

Ingredients:
1 package tortellini
2 Tbs olive oil
2 Tbs butter
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 Tbs capers, drained
1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
3 Tbs panko breadcrumbs
1/2 Cup diced tomatoes
Parmesan cheese to taste

Ingredients

Directions:

1. Mince garlic and combine with capers and red pepper flakes. Set aside.


2. Boil pasta according to package directions. Drain and return to pot. Drizzle with olive oil and cover to keep warm.


3. While pasta is boiling, shred the Parmesan cheese.


4. Melt butter over med-low heat.


5. Add garlic-caper mixture and saute for one minute. You can also add the tomatoes during this step if you like them warmed. If not, add at the end.


6. Turn off heat and stir in panko.


7. Add garlic-panko mixture to pasta, and fold in tomatoes.


8. Sprinkle with shredded Parmesan and enjoy!


Note: My husband isn't a big fan of tomatoes, so I went easy on them, but feel free to add up to one cup diced if you wish.

Click for printable recipe.

6 comments:

Jeff said...

What a great idea! The texture contrast between the tortellini and the panko just gives it that little extra bit of UUUMPH.

I will put this on my list of things to try - thanks for posting it.

Veggie Option said...

Jeff, please stop back after you've tried it and let me know what you think. :)

Mr Veggie Option said...

Of all the things my wife has cooked recently this rates a 9½ for yumminess. I can be an awkward diner to please but this really hits the spot.

HiDelicious said...

I can't wait to make this!!! I also love that your recipe includes pictures each step of the way so I know if I'm following the instructions correctly!

Veggie Option said...

@HiDelicious - thanks for reading and for the nice compliment. Please stop back and let me know what you thought of the recipe.

Kareem said...

Ditto! This is a geat idea!

Followers