Saturday, November 14, 2009

Recipe: Vegetarian Gravy

Thanksgiving is right around the corner, so I thought I'd share my favorite vegetarian gravy recipe, which goes really well with Tofurkey and/or Quorn's Turk'y Roast. The recipe isn't limited to the holidays though - I make it year round as an accompaniment to one of Steve's favorite meals: sausage and mash. Many of the vegetarian gravy recipes I've tried have an unappealing fake taste, but the following recipe packs a hearty, full-bodied flavor similar to those made with meat drippings.

Vegetarian Gravy
Serves 4
Ingredients:
1 medium onion, thinly sliced
3/4 Cup chopped mushroom
1 clove garlic, minced
2 Tbs butter
2 1/2 Cup vegetable broth (I use McKay's Chicken Style Instant Broth)
2 Tbs soy sauce (or Bragg's Liquid Amino)
4-5 Tbs flour
salt and pepper to taste

Ingredients

Directions:

1. Melt butter in a large skillet or Dutch oven and add onion.


2. Sauté onion over medium-high heat, stirring frequently until the onion is softened and browned, about 15 minutes.


3. When onions are browned and beginning to crisp, add mushrooms and garlic and sauté two minutes, stirring constantly.


4. Reduce heat to medium and add vegetable broth and soy sauce. Give everything a good stir, then add flour, one tablespoon at a time, stirring between each addition until flour is completely dissolved. Adjust seasoning and continue stirring for 8-10 minutes or until gravy reaches the desired thickness.


Serve over mashed potato...


...and the vegetarian sausage of your choice.


Note: Although McKay's makes a beef-style instant broth as well, I think it has a peculiar taste which doesn't work with this recipe. McKay's chicken-style broth is salty. If using it you will not need to add any salt or pepper, and it's best to use unsalted butter to keep the saltiness in check.

Click for printable recipe.

11 comments:

Oraphan said...

This veggie gravy looks and sounds so good, I can't wait to give it a try, thank you for the recipe.

Your blog is full of great recipes, step by step beautiful photos and inspiration, I love it:)

Veggie Option said...

Thanks for visiting. I hope you enjoy the recipe.

tro said...

This is--by far--the best veggie gravy I've ever tasted. I plan to make it again...over and over again.

My only suggestion would be to puree the gravy with a handblender as the last step. I had some trouble getting the flour to dissolve and it ended up being a bit chunky. After using the handblender, the gravy looked gorgeous.

Thank you!

Veggie Option said...

@tro - glad you liked the recipe! I have used an immersion blender in the gravy and it works very well (although my husband thinks it's too thick when I puree it).

Another suggestion for the flour is to reserve 1/2 cup of broth and add the flour to it, mixing until smooth and then pouring it into the gravy.

it is kind as worm said...

thanks for posting this recipe. i veganized it by using earth balance instead of butter and it was perfect!

Veggie Option said...

Glad you liked it!

Apple said...

i love finding new gravy recipes to try. it can be so hard finding what you want, especially one that can be made homemade.

Anonymous said...

I just made this gravy just now in preparation for a T'giving dinner I'm having this weekend*. I followed your recipe to the letter, except I used a homemde roasted veg stock and all I can say is ...WOW. This gravy will be very lucky if it lasts till the Thanksgiving dinner on Sunday!

*I'm a Yankee in a country where they don't have Thanksgiving so we're having our dinner this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Delish! I love it. I agree with the person who suggested blending it. I put it in the food processor, then added the flour as it was processing. The flavors really meld together nicely that way. I used some bland mushrooms, so I added a few TBS of nutritional yeast for extra flavor. Thanks!

Highlandbloke said...

Hi There - thanks for this recipe. I'm trying to cook as much ahead for Xmas and freezing it so that I can defrost on Xmas eve and reheat/cook - thinks like stuffing. Any reason why I couldn't freeze this gravy?

Veggie Option said...

Hi HighlandBloke,
I see no reason why you couldn't freeze this, although I have never tried doing it myself. Please stop back by and let me know if it worked out for you.

VO

Followers