Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Krispy Kreme

Krispy Kreme
2001 E. Dorothy Lane
Kettering, Ohio
937-296-4440
www.krispykreme.com

Sure you can buy Krispy Kreme doughnuts at many area groceries, but unless you've had one right off the production line you haven’t tasted the magic. Seriously – there is a world of difference between the boxed variety on the supermarket shelves and the newly made bundles of bliss rolling out of the oven at the area’s closest franchise in Kettering.

Throw the calorie counter out the window, we're headed for Krispy Kreme!

I’m not much of a doughnut person myself, but one night a friend persuaded me to visit the little doughnut shop with her when we were coming back from Dayton, and she was absolutely giddy when she saw the round red neon "HOT NOW." Whenever this sign is lit, it means they are making their signature Original Glazed doughnuts. I was astonished at how busy the place was, but it only took one bite for me to understand the attraction. All their doughnuts are dangerously addictive, but none so much as a hot Original Glazed right off the line.

Have you ever taken a big fluffy piece of cotton candy, wadded it up into a ball, popped it in your gob and let it melt away to nothing? If you have, you've got some idea of what it's like biting into a hot Krispy Kreme Original Glazed doughnut. It simply dissolves on the tongue like a snowflake.

Magnetic pull too strong...cannot resist!

All their doughnuts are vegetarian - the only animal by-products used are eggs and dairy products like butter, milk, whey and yogurt. But before you go gleefully riding the sugar rush through an entire dozen, remember that they start at 200 calories each. Dude, buzz kill!

It's quiet at midday but just wait til they switch on the sign

In the meantime, other varieties roll out, like these crullers.

Since that first visit I've made a point of stopping by Krispy Kreme whenever I am in the Dayton area, but alas the little Original Glazed sugary wonders aren't always in production - the best time for them to be HOT NOW is early morning and late at night. According to the store manager, since the Cincinnati-area locations closed the number of U.C. students making the pilgrimage north for a late-night Krispy Kreme fix is substantial. I'm not surprised.

Krispy Kreme on Urbanspoon

6 comments:

Trixi said...

Yum yum

Heather said...

You are SO right - there is NOTHING that compares to a hot Krispy Kreme - I can eat six of them in about 2 minutes when they're hot. Damn - now I'm hungry!

Rhonda said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rhonda said...

I was happy and sad at the same time when the Cincinnati stores closed. They are dangerous to have too close by. And you describe them perfectly, they really do melt in your mouth. Mmmm.

Jessica said...

There's also one at the Polaris exit just north of Columbus off 71. My boyfriend and I usually stop in on our way back home from visiting my parents!

Besides the hot original Krispy Kreme, I love their sour cream donuts! They remind me of Pleasant Ridge Donuts' buttermilk donuts (my most favorite type of donut in the entire world!)

Kareem said...

I never really found the appeal for these. It could be due to the fact that I was called Crispy-cream when I was growing up. Kids can be sooo cruel sometime.

Followers