Friday, January 1, 2010

Recipe: Vegan Curry

Recipe: Vegan Curry
Serves 6

Ingredients:
1 rib celery, diced
1 Tbs olive oil
1 small green pepper, diced
2 carrots, finely chopped
1 onion, diced
3 tomatoes, skinned and diced or one (14 oz) can whole peeled tomatoes
1 Tbs lemon juice
1 apple
2 Tbs brown sugar
2 tsp turmeric
2 Tbs shredded coconut
1 Tbs curry powder
2 Tbs flour
10 oz. vegetable stock
2 Tbs sultanas/golden raisins
2 Tbs peanuts
salt and pepper to taste

This fantastic curry recipe was given to me by a neighbor when we still had our home in England. Her recipe used metric measurements rather than imperial, so over the years I have tweaked it to suit our American kitchen.

The Ingredient List

Add oil, pepper, carrots and celery into a large pot and saute for 5-10 minutes over medium-low heat, until celery and pepper are softened.


Stir in onions, apple, and tomatoes.


Add lemon juice, sugar, curry powder, turmeric and coconut. Mix well. Cover and cook for about ten minutes, stirring once halfway through cook time.


Stir in flour, hot stock, sultanas, and peanuts.


Mix well. Cover and allow to simmer for ten minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper if needed*


Serve with rice or naan bread.


Enjoy!


*Note: If using McKay's hot stock, you will probably not need to add salt.

9 comments:

Kareem said...

This looks great! I think I have found a project for this evening.

Veggie Option said...

Kareem, I hope you enjoy it as much as we do. :)

Tara said...

Mmmm! Saw this and had to try it! Thanks for the dinner idea for tonight! I am so looking forward to it :)

Paulina :] said...

I was browsing through the web, looking for a vegan curry recipe. I'm so glad I looked at this one! I tired it today and it's amazing! Thanks so much :]

MsKitty said...

I found this via a google search for vegetarian curry recipes. Tried it out last night and it was absolutely delicious. I will be back to check out some of your other recipes.

Anonymous said...

This isn't at all an authentic curry but an English style one. Nevertheless, they can be very tasty in their own right. My mum used to make curry like this until she got to know an Indian lady and they became friends. She then learnt more authentic curries. However, I still have fond memories of the one with sultanas in it and make it that way from time to time. I think I may try out this one.

Veggie Option said...

Never said it was "authentic" - if you want authentic, please check out my Navratan Korma recipe: http://veggieoption.blogspot.com/2009/04/recipe-navratan-korma.html

Foxt said...

I'm trying to avoid all sugar - any ideas about what can be substituted for the brown sugar? This sounds GREAT!

Veggie Option said...

I thing you could safely leave out the sugar; maybe add a little more of the sultanas to counterbalance.

Followers