Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Indigo Casual Gourmet

Indigo Casual Gourmet
2053 Dixie Highway
Fort Mitchell, KY
tel: 859-331-4339
www.myindigogrill.com

Situated in an old house along Dixie Highway, Indigo is reminiscent of an English Public House. From the boldly colored walls and dimly lit sconces to the green floral carpet and worn wooden floors, it has all the makings of a true British pub - right down to the indifferent service.


Indigo Casual Gourmet


Cozy interior

I think we were just unlucky. How one acts and dresses says a lot about the individual, and let's just say that our server was grossly unprofessional and unprepared. The other server in our section had it together; she was friendly, helpful and attentive to her tables. Ours wasn't. A couple seated ten minutes after us (with the "good server") had already finished their salads by the time our server bothered to trudge over and take our order. She acted like it was a big inconvenience when we asked for a refill on our water, and we heard her verbally harangue a diner at another table. When dinner finally arrived half an hour later my Rigatoni Florentine ($10) was barely warm, leading me to suspect that it had been sitting around awhile. Not wanting to wait any longer, I decided not to send it back and instead tucked in; and it was very, very good.


Rigatoni Florentine

Steve chose the Blackened Chicken Wrap and unfortunately was less than wowed by it. He thought it lacked any discernible flavor and at $13 was more expensive than it should have been.


Blackened Chicken Wrap

The menu leans heavily toward pastas and pizzas, with a good selection of sandwiches thrown in, and it was a pleasant surprise to see over 40 vegetarian items listed. I could quite happily eat my way through the entire lot. Maybe I'll do just that at the Hyde Park location, but I'm not exactly eager to return to Fort Mitchell.

Indigo has been in business over 20 years, so I can't imagine that what we encountered at this independent eatery is normal practice. It's a shame that our experience wasn't as good as it should have been, because the food itself showed promise. Restaurants need to realize that first impressions count.

Indigo Casual Gourmet Cafe on Urbanspoon

3 comments:

Jessica said...

I've had similar experiences at both Indigo locations with cold food and lopsided service. But I keep coming back hoping for the best, because there are so many selections and some things I enjoy when prepared properly. I like the black bean calzone and grilled veggie wrap.

Veggie Option said...

Jessica, I'm sorry to hear you had a similar experience. Thanks for the tip on the calzone & wrap; I almost ordered the calzone when I was there. If I ever visit Indigo again I will give it a try. Let's hope service gets better - it certainly can't get much worse.

Heather said...

I love their menu and always think I'm going to love what I get - and am always disappointed. And yes - prices are too high. But someone gave me a gift certificate so I'm going to try it again!

Followers